Explain the Importance of Electrical Certificate for Landlord in the United Kingdom

Along with the huge financial benefits of renting out properties are health and safety requirements or certifications that you must meet. As the landlord, it is your responsibility to be aware of those not just for the sake of compliance but also to secure a good return on investment. After all, if you are the tenant, you wouldn’t go for apartments and houses for rent that do not guarantee safety, too.

The most important certification that you should get is the Electrical Certificate. In fact, the law requires landlords of HMO properties to have this certification through periodic inspections and tests. But even if your property is not classified as HMO, this inspection to acquire Electrical Certificate is still highly recommended. Here’s why:

  • Avoid electrical-related accidents

According to reports, about 4,000 accidents and 30 deaths caused by household electrics happen every year. This could happen to your property as well—especially if you don’t do basic safety checks and full electrical inspections and testing at least every five years.

  • Ensure your property provides safe living conditions

Having an Electrical Safety Certificate can allow you to attract more tenants. It is a proof that your property is in good condition. You won’t get this certification unless a qualified electrician can attest that the electrical circuits are working well. This certificate also means that the appliances that come along with the rental fee are safe to use.

  • Save money on early diagnosis of potential electrical problems

Diagnosing household electrical problems before they become worse is another huge benefit of periodic inspection. Fixing problems such as overloads and poor electrical work as early as possible will save you a considerable amount of money.

When choosing an electrician or a service provider, make sure that they have years or proven reputation. Choose providers that are government endorsed and registered with NICEIC, ELECSA or NAPIT.

Add Comment