Fire Alarm testing Prices from £100!
Fire Alarm Testing.
For commercial property, it is important to have fire alarm testing for safety purposes. The fire alarm testing is carried out in accordance with BS5839. BS5839 is a fire detection and fire alarm system regulations. It covers the design commissioning and maintenance of the building.
See Below for a overview to fire alarm inspections, Trade Facilities Services have broken them down to the types of systems.
A Grade Fire Alarm type system
Grade A fire alarm systems have the following requirements;
- Smoke/Fire Detectors.
- Heat/Fire Detectors.
- Manual Call Points, to sound the alarm.
- Central Control Panel for maintenance.
- Fire Alarm Sounders.
A Grade fire alarm systems are usually found in commercial settings, but are also seen in homes. Mainly HMO’s or house of multiple occupancy.
D Grade Fire Alarm Type System:
D grade fire alarms are now in regulation to get it done. It is the most common in domestic type properties and is always installed in new buildings. To install them, smoke and heat alarms are interlinked together via the mains. It is backed up by battery power for constant power supply.
Fire Alarm testing for various systems Listed below;
Fire Alarm Testing Daily Check List:
- Fire Alarm panel is in normal operation.
- Any fault warnings to be rectified.
- Visual inspection of panel.
Anyone can carry out the checks, if there is a major problem the appropriate people must be contacted.
Fire Alarm Testing Weekly Check List:
- Same check as the daily check list.
- A different alarm to be checked every week.
Any defects are to be recorded and the correct people to be contacted.
Fire Alarm Testing Checks 6 Monthly:
A full test of the fire alarm system should be carried out every 6 months. The test should be carried out by a competent person. The fire alarm test should be carried out in accordance with BS5839 part 1 section 6. Once the test is completed it should be put in the log book. On completion of your fire alarm testing you should receive a fire alarm certificate.
Fire Alarm testing of a Grade D system:
Fire system testing for a grade D system is slightly easier, although it should be done every month. The way to fire alarm check is by pressing the button. It is recommended the smoke / Heat alarms are cleaned every year.
General systems fire alarm testing:
It is recommended that all detectors should be tested at least once a year to ensure that they respond to smoke, the fire alarm check carried out must be done so with equipment that will not contaminate the smoke detector. It is recommended that the test is carried out by a specialist fire alarm engineer and the fire alarm test should be recorded in the log book and a test certificate supplied.
Fixed Wire Testing on the fire alarm equipment:
Fire Alarm Testing Prices:
Fire Alarm Test – Hard Wired System Upto 1 -10 Alarms: £100
Fire Alarm Test – Hard Wired System Between 11-20 Alarms – £140
Fire Alarm Test – Hard Wired System Upto 21 – 30 Alarms 1 £180
Fire Alarm Certificate.
A Fire Alarm Certificate is obtained after the completion of fire alarm testing. The certificate is provided by professional electricians. It is similar to the periodic inspection report.
It is recommended to keep the certificates in a safe place and needed as proof of compliance.
Fire alarm testing should comply with BS5839, which is a legal requirement. It is advised to get the fire alarm systems tested by skilled electricians. It should be tested annually and can be done weekly, quarterly, half-yearly, or yearly.
Did you know…..?
The Government’s Health & Safety Executive website; offers a range of accessible information on the topic. It has a section dedicated to workplace fire safety.
On your fire alarm certificate; it will identify the following:
- Type of system.
- Type Of Supply.
- How Many Sounders.
- How many Call Points.
- How Many Smoke Detectors.
- How Many Heat Detectors.
- Type of Control System.
Your Fire Alarm Certificate will also show; if there are any of the following:
- Dangerous Conditions.
- Non Compliances.
Non compliance’s on your fire alarm certificate does not mean you fail. These are more to do with regulations from BS5839-Part 1
Did you know…..?
For Commercial Property; the Responsible Person for the premises; is to ensure that a Weekly Test of the building’s Fire Alarm (FA) System is carried out. This is under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (Article 17).
Fire Alarm Certificate Check List.
Below is a list of thing required for your Fire Alarm inspection. We request you follow this before an electrician arrives. This ensures you are ready for your Fire Alarm Certificate.
- Ensure your electrician has access to the control panel. Any items blocking this will prevent the fire alarm inspection.
- Make sure your electrician can access the consumer unit. Any items blocking the consumer unit could prevent the emergency light inspection.
- Provide us a estimate of height for the control panel and consumer unit. This way we can bring appropriate ladders. This is to ensure access is adequate.
- Ensure the Fire alarms are live upon arrival. If there is no electricity we cant carry out the test.
- Report to us any known faults of the fire alarm panel. Also provide the make and model.
- Count the amount of fire alarm detectors; call points; Sounders and Panels we are testing; let us know the amount of items and locations. This is to ensure we do not miss any.
- Full tests may not be carried out in these circumstances; Early signs of dangers/recommendations present; Locations not available. If this happens you will still be charged.
- Provide any previous reports or drawing you have on the Fire Alarm Installation.
- Provide any previous electrical certificates or periodic inspection reports so we have an idea of the history of the electrical installation
If you require any further information, or would like to book your Fire Alarm inspection with Trade Facilities Services Please call 02036371446.
If you do not have time to call; fill in our Contact us form for your Fire alarm testing. We will call you back; at a convenient time for you.
Sales Line: 020 3637 1446.
Fire Alarm Certificate Prices:
Fire Alarm Certificate – Hard Wired System Upto 1 -10 Alarms: £100
Fire Alarm Certificate – Hard Wired System Between 11-20 Alarms – £140
Fire Alarm Certificate – Hard Wired System Upto 21 – 30 Alarms 1 £180