Get Truthful Electrical Certificate for Landlords and Satisfy Their Renters

Landlords are responsible for ensuring the safety of their properties to attract renters and give existing tenants the confidence in the quality of their rented space. One way to do this is by having an honest electrical certificate from a qualified and registered electrician. Also known as the ‘electrical safety certificate’ or ‘Electrical Inspection Certificate’, it is provided after the electrics and appliances have been tested and evaluated for safety. With this certification, landlords can be sure that the new installations or alterations to their electrical infrastructure are safe to use at the time they were put into service.

By law, landlords must make sure that electrical appliances supplied in their property are safe and possess the CE marking, and that all electrical installations (i.e. light fittings and sockets) are safe and properly maintained. The electrical certificate for landlords will be issued depending on the type and extent of the electrical installation, the testing method, and the inspection performed for the property. It indicates electrical faults, which may cause burns or shock to renters and animals (i.e. pets), and determine if there is ample protection against damage to the property by heat or fire from a defective point.

Testing may reveal risks, too, such as overloading and water damage or flooding. When getting a certificate, landlords must make sure that the testing is conducted only by an NICEIC, NAPIT, or ELECSA registered electrician. A qualified electrician can check the condition of electrical systems following the UK standard for the safety of installations or IEE Wiring Regulations (BS 7671 – Requirements for Electrical Installations).

The frequency of testing is dependent on the findings of a previous inspection, but it is ideally conducted every three to five years. That way, landlords can prove their responsibility and obligation to ensure the safety and compliance of all electrical installations and appliances with the EICR. Testing may be conducted every five years if the property is an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation).

Add Comment