Things You Need to Know About EICR

The first thing that you must know about the EICR or electrical installation condition certificate is that it is a legal requirement for landlords in the UK. Whether you own houses in multiple occupations (HMO) or commercial buildings, it is your duty to get an EICR for landlords. If you fail to adhere to the standards and regulations, you may face criminal charges, be imprisoned, or required to pay a fine.

Wondering what an EICR is and what it’s for? Here’s everything you need to know about this requirement:

1.      EICR reveals the current state of your electrical installations      

An electrician can only issue an EICR after doing a thorough evaluation and inspection of your property. The report provides you with detailed assessments and insights on the current health and integrity of your property’s electrical system. It shows whether your electrical work conforms to applicable safety standards or not, if there are problems that need immediate action, and if there are potential issues that need urgent attention. The information you will get from the report is crucial as it will guide you on your next steps.

2. Electrical inspections must be carried out periodically    

Another thing that you must understand is that your electrical testing certificates and EICR reports must be renewed every five years for both domestic and commercial tenanted properties. If you have a swimming pool on the premises, then inspections should be carried out every year.

3. Scotland requires landlords to present their EICR to tenants    

To further protect tenants, Scotland passed a law that requires the landlord to present these reports to tenants as proof that their properties are safe to occupy. Having said this, it is highly recommended to get EICR every change of tenancy.

4. You need it for property insurance claims    

To reduce the likelihood of electrocution, fire, and other related accidents, insurance providers consider periodic electrical inspections as part of the landlord’s obligations. They look for electrical certifications and other documentation like PAT testing and emergency light testing before granting the claims of a landlord and paying for the repairs and other expenses.

Add Comment